Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Nightmare Stereotype Babysitters.....


I just have to say that after watching The Monster House this week...great movie by the way...I was reminded how many fictional and real life horrible nannies and babysitters there have been. The picture on the right is of the babysitter Elizabeth a.k.a Zee in this movie. When she arrives at the home of her babysitting job, she proceeds to speak loudly saying how she and the kid are going to have such a fun time and how many great activities she has planned. The kid then informs her his parents have left already, she quickly loses the act, and lets him know she's in charge of the tv, phone, and invites her drunk boyfriend over. Hmmm...kind of makes you realize why so many families get the infamous "nanny cam" after they hire someone to watch over their precious kids. Remember Louise Woodward? She is the au pair on the left who was convicted of second degree murder which was later reduced to involuntary manslaughter with time served. She was accused of shaking the baby she was taking care of enough to cause his death. I remember this case especially because it was in the news right before I applied for my first job. I remember feeling almost a guilt by association of sorts. I didn't have an opinion as to whether she really did it or not, but all I kept thinking is with stories like this in the news, how can any parent trust a stranger with the lives of their children. It is a tough thing to chose the person you think is the right one to take care of your children when you aren't present. I have always respected that fact and have expected the same respect for how difficult it is to take care of children like a mother in a strange house, new home, and unfamiliar surroundings. For me it has worked out well. I know there are unpleasant jobs and nannies working out there who aren't fit to care for children but I prefer to be optimistic and hopefully this blog will help. What helped me be optimistic is knowing that I was an excellent nanny who loved kids and had great experience and all the family I worked for had to do was sit back and observe and they would see all these things come through in my passion for the job.

1 comment:

Micheal Alexander said...

I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today.  Working Moms