Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Interview Questions...

The most important thing to remember about the interview is that there are no stupid questions. Really. The only way to make sure you are comfortable with a family is to make sure you aren't left with any unanswered questions about them. Sit down and write a list about everything you are curious about. Think about what you will and will not do with children, what your values and morals are, what you are willing to compromise on and what is immovable. Here is a pretty extensive list of questions I have asked or think may be useful to you. Remember, you have to make your list personal. Not all these will apply to you (or the age group of the children) and you may think of some not here. Please understand there are too many questions to think of them all and I don't think I could keep your attention that long anyway. A family's and a nanny's best side shows in an interview so think of questions which will give you insight into the family without them knowing. If they have very misbehaved children, they won't say that outright, but you can find out if you ask the right questions. You want to be happy with the family and they want to be happy wiht you so don't be afraid to be THOROUGH.
THE CHILDREN
1. How many children?
2. What are the ages?
3. Are there any special needs?
4. Are they in school/pre-school?
5. What if any extra-curricular activities are the children involved in?
6. What are their (the children's) personalities like?
7. What activities do they enjoy doing?
8. Do they have any dietary restrictions?
9. Do the children have sleep schedules?
10. What are their routines like? (i.e. eating, sleeping, homework, etc.)
11. Do the children have household duties? What are they?
12. Would you object to me (the nanny) giving them household duties?
13. Do the children get along with each other? Sibling rivalry?

PARENTS
1. What are the parents' names?
2. What do the parents do for a living?
3. How many hours/day do they work?
4. What are their personalities like? Likes dislikes
5. What are the ages of the parents?
6. If they are single/divorced etc., how involved is the other parent?
7. Any food restrictions?
8. Any health issues the nanny should know about?
9. What is the desired relationship between the nanny and the parents?
10. What are some things they like to do in their spare time?

DUTIES OF THE NANNY
1. Describe a typical day for the nanny?
2. What are my household duties? ASK FOR SPECIFICS
3. How much carpooling/driving is required?
4. Am I required to cook? For the family? For the children?
5. What kind of errands if any will I be responsible for?
6. What housekeeping duties will I be expected to do?
7. Do you expect the nanny to clean up after the children or with the assistance of the nanny or are they expected to clean up after themselves?
8. Do you consider a nanny an employee or a member of the famliy?
9. When one/both parents are home is the nanny off or do you expect her help?
10. If you are not satisfied with how I am doing something, how would you handle it?
11. If I disagreed with something you as parents were doing would I be able to speak to you about it?
12. During nap time/school time/down time is the nanny ok to talk on the phone, nap, get on the internet, etc.?
13. What are your disciplinary expectations of me?
14. How free am I to try new techniques with the children as long as we discuss them together?
15. If I establish some kind of punishment/reward/etc. with the children will you as parents support it?
16. Are there any overnights or weekends expected of the nanny?
17. If so, how much advance notification can be expected?

BENEFITS
1. What is the salary?
2. How often do I get paid?
3. Do I get paid on the same day/time every week?
4. How much vacation do I get?
5. Is it paid vacation?
6. Will I be provided a car?
7. Will it be a shared or private car?
8. Do I pay for my own gas? Gas used on the job?
9. What two days do I have off per week?
10. Do I get paid in cash or check?
11. Do you take taxes out of the pay?
12. Am I free to come and go at any time?
13. Do I travel with the family?
14. Do I get paid extra for weekend/overnight work?
15. Are there any famly memberships I will be able to take advantage of?
-gyms, libraries, country clubs, etc.
16. Do you pay for car insurance?
17. Do you pay for an auto program i.e. AAA?
18. Do you offer health insurance or a health insurance allowance?
19. How are sick days handled?
20. How much notice would you like when I need to request vacation time?
21. Do you pay for automobile maintenance?
22. Is there an entertainment/food allowance for when the kids and I go out?
23. How far am I allowed to take the car?
24. What is my room like?
25. Do I have a private or shared bathroom?
26. Is the room furnished/may I bring my own furniture?
27. Do I have a private phone line?
28. Who pays for the phone line?
29. Do I need to have a cell phone?
30. Do you help out with the cell bill?
31. Is there cable/satellite tv in the nanny's room?
32. Is there a curfew?
33. Does the nanny buy her own food or have a say in the family groceries?
34. Will my privacy be respected?
25. How is the nanny's off-time viewed?
26. Am I allowed to have friends over?
27. Am I allowed to have out-of-town visitors in the house?
28. Will I be able to take college classes?
29. What are the nearest colleges/universities?
30. How flexible can you be with hours worked each day?

There are plenty more questions to ask. Think about the parent/child relationship, health issues, what lifestyle the family takes part in, what is the background of the family, and make up some mock situations and ask them how they'd react. Don't be afraid to ask for references for the family that you can speak with. Believe me they will be asking about your references and they will be impressed with how serious and thouroughly you are taking your job search.

1 comment:

Micheal Alexander said...

Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Stay at Home Mom Jobs Near Me