Thursday, July 20, 2006

So You Wanna Be a Nanny...


I promise, I will get to the funny stories about the spawn of Satan folks are trying to pass of as children. For now though, more on the boring stuff...how to actually enter the world of Mary Poppins. Robin Williams did it, so can you. Though I wouldn't suggest cross-dressing during an interview. First, I want to share a web page that contains a ton of websites of agencies where you can begin to search for the perfect job. It is simply google.com with "nanny agencies" in the search engine. Oops, nanny agency might be a foreign word to some of y'all. Agencies are the prime avenue through which to begin a search for the perfect nanny job. An agency's basic job is to interview families, determine what they're looking for, interview nannies and make the best match between the two. There are plenty of great nanny agencies out there and in my experience it is a good idea to apply with several just to improve your odds. For the most part, there is no fee for prospective nannies. The families pay a fee for the ageny's services and generally it is a hefty fee. Another popular way to search for a family is the online agencies which allow the family and the nanny to post their information and do the searching themselves. Some of these sites require a membership fee and some are free. Greataupair.com is a great example of an online agency. The membership fee is quite high, but definitely worth it. There are tons of families on the site from all over the country and the world. You can post your information without paying the fee but you won't be able to contact any of the families. The application to be a nanny is pretty long. Be prepared to write some short essays on your discipline style, why you want to be a nanny, what you would do in certain child-care-related situations, what your childhood was like, etc. MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A COPY OF YOUR APPLICATION BEFORE YOU SEND IT IN. This is especially important if you are applying with multiple agencies. They all ask pretty much the same questions and it is a lot of writing that you don't want to have to start from scratch every time. Another important aspect in the application process is your references. Typically, you need to have at least three personal and three experience-related references. Reference letters are a good idea as well. Once again, make copies of all documentation before submitting. Some other things you need to have are a driving record, copy of driver's license, and criminal record and/or fingerprints.
Alright, after you have completed your application and have submitted all the necessary paperwork, now you wait. The agency will take some time to check your references and all background information and then they will go through their database of families and determine which fit your requirements and wants. Usually they pass your information on to the appropriate families and if the family likes what they see they will call you for a phone interview. If you and the family "click" and decide to take the next step you're on your way. If not, you call the agency and they will send your info out to more families until they find the right one for you. At this point, the agency is pretty much out of the picture. I have dealt with A LOT of agencies and they all claimed to be there for a support for me before, during, and after my job placement process. However, not all of them remained true to that promise. As a 19 year old just starting in the business this was very scary for me. I found myself homesick, alone, and uncomfortable in a new house living with strangers. The agency I went through the first time was not there for me after I was placed. At this point in my career however, I don't need an agency to help me out because I know the industries ins and outs and can function on my own. If it is important for you to stay in contact with a "friendly" agency, make sure you do your homework before you commit to a job. There are plenty of amazing agencies out there who really do care about their nannies and do everything in their power to make the girls feel comfortable so don't despair. Okay, so now that you know how to get started and have put in multiple applications, it is on to the most important step of the process: the phone interview. I will be compiling an extensive list of questions to consider asking during the interview with the family. Some will apply to you, some won't but all are worth considering. I wish I had this guide when I was searching. Meet you on the next blog...

1 comment:

Micheal Alexander said...

Your website is very beautiful or Articles. I love it thank you for sharing for everyone. Buy Videos